Welcome back to Cyprus and Ithaca class,
We hope you have had a great weekend.
In Literacy we will be learning about features of writing a recount. Children will focus their recount on the World Cup and will learn how to report about a current event. They will focus on vocabulary and language as well as structuring and ordering a recount.
In Numeracy we will be learning about finding and describing patterns or relationships between shapes and numbers. We will be focusing on symmetrical patterns and number sequences using magic number squares. We will also be learning about Compass Directions and using grids to describe direction using co-ordinates.
In topic this week we will be learning about famous people both past and present from Russia such as:
- Catherine the Great
- Yuri Gagarin
- Peter the Great
- Stalin and the role of Russia in World War II
- Valentina Tereshkova
Your home learning challenge this week is to choose your favourite fairy tale such as Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Goldilocks and the Three Bears etc and re-write the story from another characters point of view.
For example Cinderella could be re-written from the point of view of the ugly sisters or Goldilocks could retell the story about the three bears or you could even re-write the story of the Three Little Pigs from the Big Bad Wolf’s point of view. Be as creative and as imaginative as you can; you could even have a twist in the story and create your own version of these fairy tales!
On Mathletics and at home please can parents focus on and revise with children:
- Times Tables 2-12 (this is imperative and all children are required to know all multiplication confidently.)
- Mental maths and number operations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Equivalent Fractions and Decimals
- Converting Time from 12hr to 24hr and 24hr to 12hr
- Converting minutes, seconds, hours, days, months and years
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
- Multiplying decimals and dividing decimals by 10, 100 and 1000
- Formal Layout Division (Bus Stop Method)
- Finding Non-Unit Fractions of amounts
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with the same denominator and different denominators
- Converting measurement: Weight (grams, kilograms, tonne) Length (cm, m, mm, km) and Capacity (ml and litres)
- Reading and Writing Roman Numerals
- Negative Numbers
- Finding the perimeter of rectilinear shapes
- Co-Ordinates (reading, writing and plotting)
- Calculating money
- Translating Shapes
- Calculating Measure Problems
- Number sequences and Magic Squares
- Directions on a compass
For Literacy focus on sentence writing including:
- Capital letters and full stops
- Exclamation marks, speech marks, commas, ellipses and brackets
- Connectives ensuring that sentences make sense
- Writing complex sentences using verbs, adverbs, conjunctions and adjectives
- Writing in Paragraphs
Have a fabulous weekend. 🙂
Miss Raval and Mrs Winters