Cyprus and Ithaca Blog: Week Beginning: 4.6.18
Welcome back to Cyprus and Ithaca class,
We hope you have had a lovely half term break.
In Literacy we will be learning about the features of writing historical narrative. We will be focusing on several historical stories from Ancient Greece and will compare the similarities and differences between them. We will learn how to write notes and create a plan for our own stories as well as focusing on writing openings for stories using a range of conjunctions, adverbs and prepositions to show the passing of time and place.
In Numeracy we will be learning about reading and describing positions on a 2D grid using Co-Ordinates. We will also be focusing on solving addition and subtraction problems with 2-step methods.
In topic this week we will be learning about: Who were the Ancient Greeks and when and where did they exist.
We are also very much looking forward to our Year 4 trip to the British Museum to explore and conduct some research about the Ancient Greeks. We are also excited about seeing some original pieces of artefacts from this era and become real historians for the day.
Your home learning challenge this week is to create your own Greek God or Goddess and make a leaflet about them. To find some inspiration, research about Greek Gods and Goddesses to give you some ideas. We would like you to be as creative and as imaginative as can be. However these are some suggestions you could include:
- What is their name and what does their name mean?
- How old are they?
- Who are their relatives? (Are they related to any other Greek Gods or Goddesses?)
- Where do they live?
- What are they the God or Goddess of?
- What are their special powers?
- Interesting facts about them?
Remember to also include: Headings, Subheadings, labels, captions and pictures.
On Mathletics and at home please can parents focus on and revise with children:
- Times Tables 2-12 (this is imperative and all children are required to know all multiplication confidently.)
- Mental maths and number operations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Equivalent Fractions and Decimals
- Converting Time from 12hr to 24hr and 24hr to 12hr
- Converting minutes, seconds, hours, days, months and years
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
- Multiplying decimals and dividing decimals by 10, 100 and 1000
- Formal Layout Division (Bus Stop Method)
- Finding Non-Unit Fractions of amounts
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with the same denominator and different denominators
- Converting measurement: Weight (grams, kilograms, tonne) Length (cm, m, mm, km) and Capacity (ml and litres)
- Reading and Writing Roman Numerals
- Negative Numbers
- Finding the perimeter of rectilinear shapes
- Co-Ordinates (reading, writing and plotting)
- Calculating money
For Literacy focus on sentence writing including:
- Capital letters and full stops
- Exclamation marks, speech marks, commas, ellipses and brackets
- Connectives ensuring that sentences make sense
- Writing complex sentences using verbs, adverbs, conjunctions and adjectives
- Writing in Paragraphs
Have a great weekend.
Miss Raval and Mrs Winters