Cyprus and Ithaca Blog: Week Beginning: 29.1.18
Welcome back to Cyprus and Ithaca class,
In Literacy, we have been focusing on writing dialogues in text and employing the use of speech marks and inverted commas. We have also learnt how to include speech within writing stories. Children also learnt how to retell stories in their own words using speech, expression and intonation in their voices when presenting to the rest of the class.
In Numeracy, we have been learning how to calculate formal method division and setting out calculations. We have practised using inverse operations of multiplication and division to check answers. We have also learnt about the relationships between 2D and 3D shapes and shape nets.
In Geography, this week we have been learning all about the main towns and cities within Greater London and investigated how the physical features of London has changed over the years. For example buildings and landmarks.
In Science, we have been learning about materials that can change state when heated or cooled. We have also investigated how temperature can have an impact on this and whether these changes can be reversible or irreversible.
For home learning this week, you are environmentalist news reporters. You need to investigate and report on either one of the following below.
- What the future might look like if we take action on climate change
- What the future might look like if we choose not to take action;
At the end of your report you must finish with the sentence ‘My promise to the planet is….’ (and explain how you will look after the planet)
Tips for writing a great newspaper report:
- Catchy attention grabbing headline
- Photos with captions (short line explaining picture)
- Factually written
Extra Revision Tasks
Please focus on:
- Times Tables 2-12
- Mental maths and number operations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Negative and Positive numbers
- Equivalent Fractions
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with the same denominator
- Formal Layout Division and Multiplication
- Converting Time from 12hr to 24hr and 24hr to 12hr
- Calculating Perimeter
For Literacy focus on sentence writing and including:
- Capital letters and full stops
- Exclamation marks, speech marks, commas, ellipses and brackets
- Connectives ensuring that sentences make sense
- Spellings (please see the attached list of recommended spellings.)
Have a great weekend!!!
Miss Raval and Mrs Winters