Chinese New Year/Clean Monday
Welcome back!! We hope you had a restful break.
This week we have been learning:
About Clean Monday. We found out what Clean Monday is and why we celebrate it. We enjoyed flying kites and Mrs Herne made us Lagana bread which she hopes you enjoyed. We are going to be counting down lent using Lady lent. (This is on our RE table if you would like to know more)
We have also been celebrating Chinese New Year. We heard the ‘Chinese Zodiac Story’ and we have been telling the story in the sand and in the role-play. We also had fun racing outside and looking at positional numbers. We have been learning how to prepare for Chinese New Year and ways in which people celebrate it. We had fun using the Chinese dragon and scarves when dancing to Chinese music. We have been exploring Chinese noodles, making fortune cookies with the play dough, writing in Chinese and making Chinese dragons.
This week we have started learning the sounds of the alphabet. We started ‘s’ the sound, looking at items that start with ‘s’ and then learning how to write it. Please continue making ‘s’ shapes at home and in your homework books.
This half-term we will be learning about Dinosaurs!!
Next week we will be learning about:
- Dinosaurs, looking at where they lived and how they behaved.
- 2 new sounds of the alphabet.
- Using a dinosaur story to learn numbers to 10, out of sequence.
- Finishing looking at how God made the world.
How you can help at home:
- Continue name writing.
- Explore the ‘s’ sound. Talk about things you may have around the house and practise writing the sound.
- Talk about numbers that you see around you, the children now need to recognise numbers to 10 out of sequence.
- Talk about the changes in the seasons that the children may see at the moment. For example flowers growing and buds on trees.
Notes for parents:
Thank you very much for your support in making sure the children are smart for school however;
- Please can you ensure that the children are wearing the correct footwear, their footwear should be black.
- Please can you also ensure the children are wearing the correct colour jackets, our school colours are blue or black.
We would like to thank you for your ongoing support.
Mrs Herne, Mrs Bruno, Mrs Lowe and Mrs Cosma