Happy New Year!!
Dear parents and careers,
We hope you had a relaxing Christmas break and enjoyed your family time.
As you are aware the children are not able to come to school as we are now in lockdown. I would like to continue the children’s learning at home so I will be adding daily tasks on this blog daily, each week. This will be based on the learning that would have taken place in class. I will also be grouping the children so please make sure you check what group your child in as the activity could be different. (This will be emailed to you) Please email me pictures of your learning to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Topic: Transport
This week we will be thinking about all kinds of transport for example; on the ground, in the sky and on/in the water.
Task 1: Read the story ‘We all go travelling by’. Please follow this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSw50Jw0H34 You may want to mute the sound and read the story as the video is playing. You may want to play the video more than once so please encourage the children to join in with the sounds each transport makes as this also covers our phonics learning. Talk to the children about where you can find each mode of transport.
- School bus/bright red truck/shiny pink bike/fast orange car/two purple shoes – on the ground, on the road
- long blue train – on the ground, on a track
- little green boat – on the water
- a big white plane – in the sky
Task 2: Draw a picture or make a model of a mode of transport from the story. Please take photos as I would love to see your creations! I will see if there is a way you can send these to me.
Task 1: Read the PDF story about St Basil. We would have celebrated St Basil this week by telling his story and making our own cake. The children are aware that Jesus has friends in heaven and St Basil is one of them. He was a kind man which is why we celebrate him on the 1st January. The children also know that photos of Saints are called icons, St Basils icon is the first page on the PDF. Please explain these main points to the children.
Task 2: Please bake a vasilopita (cake) at home and share with your family! Please take pictures and you can send them to me once I have sorted out a way to share your learning.
Task 1: Maths, watch number blocks number 11 (please follow this link) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLuYTztH-c look at this picture number 11 comes after number 10. Count from 0 to number 11.
Make a set of number cards with the children. Triangle children make number cards to 10/Square and circle children make number cards to 20. The children can write them with adult support. Order the cards from 0, try this on the table (do they fit?) on the floor (what number comes next?). Play games with the numbers take a number away which one is missing? Here are a couple of ideas.
- Adults: I will be adding some phonics activities but it is very important that the children hear the sounds correctly. Please watch this video as it explains exactly how to say each sound. Please avoid saying the names of the letters as we teach using sounds first. The video shows set 1, set 2 and set 3 sounds you just need to focus on set 1 for now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXcabDUg7Q
- Children: We have been learning about sounds that we hear around us. Sounds inside, sounds outside, sounds using our bodies, sounds using our mouths. Show these cards to the children and encourage them to say the sounds, this warms up their mouths! voice sound cards Please watch this video and encourage the children to guess the sounds they hear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Kp_J9kvNM
Task 1: Phonics – Sound box, focus on hearing the sounds d, n, and t. Listen to the song:
This is what you should hear – d – dog, door, dish, drink/n – nut, nail, needle, net/t – toy, train, tractor, tin
- Diamonds/Cross’s – Can you draw pictures for each word?
- Moons- Can you think of anything else that makes the same sound? Can you draw these pictures?
- Suns- Can you write these words using your sounds to help you – dog/nut/tin
Task 2: Pattern trains – Make some cards that have different colours and shapes on them, you will need to make 3 of each card. You can turn them into trains if you wish. Make patterns using your cards.
Thank you for your continued support and hope that you find this blog useful during these tricky times. Kindest wishes to you all, please stay safe!