Cyprus and Ithaca Blog: Week Beginning: 30.4.18
Welcome back to Cyprus and Ithaca class,
In Literacy this week we will be learning about Rhyming Couplets in Poetry. We will also learn how to recite a poem and create our own poetry based on the theme of School.
In Numeracy we will be learning about rounding decimals to the nearest whole number. We will also focus on finding the halves and doubles of decimal fractions.
In Topic this week we will be learning about:
- What is the difference between a Conductor and an Insulator?
Your home learning this week is to be a book critique. You need to choose your all-time favourite book and write a review about it. You must include:
- Book title
- Author and Illustrator
- Type of Genre (e.g fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, humour, scary, fairy-tale, adventure, sports, animal story, biography, historical, mystery)
- Main Characters
- Your Star Rating and why?
On Mathletics and at home please can parents focus on and revise with children:
- Times Tables 2-12 (this is imperative and all children are required to know all multiplication confidently.)
- Mental maths and number operations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Equivalent Fractions and Decimals
- Converting Time from 12hr to 24hr and 24hr to 12hr
- Converting minutes, seconds, hours, days, months and years
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
- Multiplying decimals and dividing decimals by 10, 100 and 1000
- Formal Layout Division (Bus Stop Method)
- Finding Non-Unit Fractions of amounts
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with the same denominator and different denominators
- Converting measurement: Weight (grams, kilograms, tonne) Length (cm, m, mm, km) and Capacity (ml and litres)
- Reading and Writing Roman Numerals
- Negative Numbers
For Literacy focus on sentence writing including:
- Capital letters and full stops
- Exclamation marks, speech marks, commas, ellipses and brackets
- Connectives ensuring that sentences make sense
- Writing complex sentences using verbs, adverbs, conjunctions and adjectives
- Writing in Paragraphs
Have a superb weekend.
Miss Raval and Mrs Winters