St Cyprians Greek Orthodox Primary Academy – PSHE Curriculum Intent
At St Cyprians we believe that PSHE education is a fundamental part of every child’s education in order for them to become confident happy citizens. We use the Jigsaw mindfulness approach to support pupils’ sense of self-worth. We want pupils to gain information, skills and positive values to be empowered to navigate healthy relationships with their peers and adults in and out of school.
The jigsaw scheme is adopted across the school, from early years to year 6. The scheme is taught through Jigsaw’s six half termly themes with each year group studying the same unit at the same time (at their own level):
Autumn 1: Being Me in My World
Autumn 2: Differences (including anti-bullying)
Spring 1: Dreams and Goals
Spring 2: Healthy Me
Summer 1: Relationships
Summer 2: Changing Me
The themes are introduced through launch assemblies and themed songs. At the end of the half term, we hold a celebration assembly where classes can share celebrations.
By the time our children leave St Cyprians Primary Academy they will:
- be able to approach a range of real-life situations and apply their skills and attributes to help navigate themselves through modern life
- be on their way to becoming healthy, respectful, socially and morally responsible, active members of society
- recognise and apply the British Values of Democracy, Tolerance, Mutual respect, Rule of law and Liberty
- be able to understand and manage their emotions
- be able to look after their mental health and well-being
- be able to develop positive, healthy relationship with their peers both now and in the future.
- understand the physical aspects involved in RHSE at an age appropriate level
- have respect for themselves and others.
- have a positive self esteem